Sunday mornings are the best at my house. You see, Sunday mornings are for big breakfasts!
Our Saturday mornings tend to be busy with extra curriculars and birthday parties or other celebrations for friends and family. Even if we don’t have any place in particular to go, Saturday mornings have become the time we use to clean up around the house, work in the yard or run errands around town.
Saturdays are just busy days.
Thankfully, Sunday’s are typically low-key days for us. There’s generally nothing on the schedule and we get to enjoy being in our home. Those quiet, relaxed Sunday mornings have become a time I truly forward to. You might think that I’d like to sleep in on a honest-to-goodness day off, but I actually like to get up quite early, pour myself a big, hot cup of coffee… and start planning a menu! That precious a.m. downtime is when I get to spend some (rare) uninterrupted time in the kitchen making a special morning meal to treat my family.
It’s kind of a big deal.
For those of us who love to cook for others, an opportunity to go all out making a meal is truly a golden one.
For some folks, getting the chance to entertain and cook comes in the form of dinner parties or luncheons, but for my family it’s all about breakfast. We love it all: pancakes, waffles, breads, tortillas, eggs, bacon, sausage, omelettes, breakfast casseroles, and sometimes (when we’re feeling fancy) quiche!
Lately though, all of those delicious, classic breakfast staples have taken a backseat to these vanilla cake doughnuts and easy milk chocolate frosting. Oh, and sprinkles!!
Seriously, for the love of Pete, don’t forget the sprinkles!!
If you don’t have a doughnut pan yet, here’s a link to purchase this awesome Nordic Ware 6-cavity doughnut pan. This is a quality pan and it’s just like the one I own! –> https://amzn.to/2y2usE3
Links to more of our favorite breakfast recipes! –>
Perfect, Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
Homemade Flour Tortillas
Vanilla Cake Doughnuts with Easy Milk Chocolate Frosting
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 doughnuts
Ingredients for the vanilla doughnuts:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- milk chocolate frosting (recipe follows)
- colored sprinkles or nonpareils, for topping if desired
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°. Prepare a doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir dry ingredients. In a another small mixing bowl, combine melted butter, milk, extract and the egg. Stir until ingredients are mixed well.
- 3/4 cup quality milk chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli brand)
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
Don’t forget to follow me by email so you never miss a post!