Well, the first day of fall is almost here!! In fact, it’s on the calendar for September 22, 2017. I know that’s still a month away, but based on the way this year is just flying by, that date will be here in no time at all!
This summer has flown by for us and as I’ve shared with you all, it’s been really hectic! In a sense, we are super ready to move on to a brand new season. Hopefully, we can slow down and better appreciate the holidays and family events that the rest of the year has to offer.
So, bring on the cozy autumn colors and gorgeous warm spices. They are kind of my favorite things anyway.
My kids love this simple, spiced apple quick bread. One little loaf is a snap to make and it definitely disappears in a flash too! I baked this single loaf of bread late last night. It was meant to be a special breakfast treat for, what should have been, my son’s first day of fifth grade this morning. But, due to the unpredictable weather conditions lately here in our local area, his first day of school has been postponed.
At least we had one last leisurely breakfast together to round out summer 2017, and we’re hoping for clear skies tomorrow…clear skies for all of Texas!
Spiced Apple Quick Bread printable recipe
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 9-5 inch loaf
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 large apple, peeled, seeded and finely chopped (1 cup chopped apple)
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour, sugars, spices, baking powder and pinch of salt together in a medium bowl. Set bowl aside. In another small bowl, mix the butter egg and milk together with a whisk. Fold the chopped apples into the butter mixture.
2. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until the batter is just combined.
3. Transfer batter into a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Bake for 25 -30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for about 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
4. Enjoy with extra butter, coffee or your favorite hot tea!