This recipe was updated on November 1, 2023. Corrections were made to the recipe amounts and options added to the method.
New twists on old favorites don’t always go over big here with my finicky crew. Try as I might, I’m never really sure what will go over well when I put a spin on a family classic. So, it’s truly a “hit or miss” kind of process when I’m feeling creative in the kitchen.
For the grown-ups, (usually) variety is the spice of life and it’s nice to have a change of pace at dinner time. Oh man, but for the kids, even a slight recipe alteration can be alarming and the reaction can be oh so dramatic. The dinner time guessing game…it’s super fun (this may or may not be sarcasm) and it definitely keeps me on my toes! But, I decided to brave the nit-picky waters and make these crispy honey mustard chicken tenders instead of our standard buttermilk-marinated chicken tenders last week.
In the middle of prepping the chicken, I slipped up and used to the word “mustard” around my ten-year-old and then I immediately swore him into secrecy! To use the word “mustard” around the four-year-old would have been the kiss of dinnertime death, y’all! The making of this dish was officially a covert operation because I was using a dubious ingredient like mustard. However, honey is good. Yep, we’re good with honey and it’s always welcome around here…but, mustard, um, not so much.
You should know that when these tenders were served, they had to go through a thorough, rigorous kid inspection before the first bite took place… man, I live with a tough crowd! However, I’m happy to report it went over very well and kids ate their dinner without hesitation. The grown-ups were pretty keen on this dish too! The flavor of the mustard is very subtle and just adds a nice bit of richness underneath that crunchy crust. We paired these chicken tenders up with some homemade hash browns, a simple green salad and some fresh apple slices and it was a very enjoyable family supper!
So, these photos were taken yesterday when I made these crispy honey mustard chicken tenders again for lunch. I had to make it again so I could get the measurements down just right to share with y’all. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it! I hope you all enjoy them too!
Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken Tenders printable recipe
prep time: 25 MINS cook time: 25 MINS serving: 6
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken tenders
- salt and black pepper
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon salted butter, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil (set aside in a small bowl) or olive oil cooking spray
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line a sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken tenders on both sides and set them aside.
- In a small bowl combine the mustard, butter, honey, garlic powder and parsley. Pour the bread crumbs onto a small plate. Lightly salt and pepper the bread crumbs and mix well. Set a clean spoon on the plate with the bread crumbs (you’ll use it to coat the chicken)
- Using your fingers, apply the honey mustard mixture to one chicken tender at a time. After the chicken is coated with the mustard mixture on both sides, set it down in the bread crumbs. Use the spoon to coat the top and sides of the chicken tenders with bread crumbs.
- Transfer coated the chicken tender to the prepared baking sheet and repeat the process until all the chicken is prepared. Using a basting brush, apply a light coat of olive oil to the top of each chicken tender or spray breaded tenders with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake for for 20-25 minutes or until the bread crumb coating is browned and crisp. Remove the sheet pan from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Serve warm and enjoy!