This recipe was originally published on April 19, 2016 and updated on February 27, 2024. Alternate ingredients were added to the recipe.
Spring showers are happening all over Texas and it’s been really rainy and dreary here. This past Sunday, it stormed hard. Our backyard was a muddy mess and flash flood warnings were in effect for our area.
We weren’t going anywhere.
So, to pass the time we watched a few movies, played board games and I, of course, baked!
The first time I saw a recipe for sour cream muffins, it was posted years ago on a website (that shall remain nameless) and based on the amazing recipe name alone, I knew I had to make them.
Unfortunately, that recipe just would not come together. Trust me, I tried twice… I really wanted those muffins.
The recipe was too dry. Maybe the problem was based on a typo (or typos) in the recipe, but there was far too little liquid to make a batter. Each time I prepared the recipe, it turned out more like crumbly, bread dough.
So, I went back to the drawing board and made my own version of those delicious-sounding, sour cream muffins.
I added more butter and a good measure of milk for more moisture. I also added just a smidge more vanilla extract.
I wrote down the recipe as I put it together because I have a tendency to forget exactly what I did if I don’t!
Ever since then, this recipe for sour cream muffins has become my go-to muffin recipe. I use it as a versatile base-recipe. I’ve paired it up with all kinds of ingredients and on this particular day, it was mini-chocolate chips!
I’m sharing this recipe with you all so that it’s here to reference, and it won’t be the last time you see it. I plan to share all the variations I make with this recipe, as I make them, down the line.
But, in the meantime, you really should try some of these sour cream chocolate chip muffins. I just know you’ll be happy you did.
They sure perked up the mood at my place on a dark and soggy day.
Sour Cream Chocolate Chip MuffinsCourse: breakfast, brunch, dessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These delicious Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins are so simple to make, they will be your go-to recipe for a homemade sweet treat! The sour cream adds a richness to these simple muffins that makes them something special!
1 3/4 cups self-rising flour (*see notes below)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil (*see notes below)
1/2 cup sugar
1 (8 oz) container *sour cream (regular or light)
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk (I used 1% milk)
1/2 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate, chocolate chips (mini or regular size, as you prefer)
coarse sugar sprinkles for the muffin tops (optional, but highly recommended)
- Pre-heat oven 400°. Mix the flour and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the sour cream and stir until it is well incorporated with butter and sugar. Add in the beaten egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients and the milk, one half of each at a time, to the sour cream mixture. Stir until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Next, spoon the batter into greased muffin cups or cupcake wrappers to about 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops of muffins with coarse sugar, if desired. Bake for 18 -20 minutes or until muffin tops are golden brown.
- Allow the muffins to cool for about 15 – 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- *If you don’t have self-rising flour, use 1-3/4 all-purpose flour + 1/2 tsp baking soda + 1/4 tsp table salt
- *If you prefer to use butter, use 5 tablespoons of softened, salted butter.
- *Plain Greek yogurt can be used in place of sour cream
- Recipe from A Little Fish in the Kitchen blog at www.alittlefishinthekitchen.com. All content is owned by Marcelle G. Bolton. Please contact the author for permission to republish.