Coffee and cocoa, you say?! You had us all from the start… for sure.
My daughter came running up at pretty much that very minute, candy cane in hand, begging for me to open it up for her. One of our Christmas traditions is to decorate our tree with candy canes…which steadily disappear before the big day arrives. It was then I decided to go get one from the tree too because it dawned on me that crushed candy cane might work to make a peppermint coffee drink! I’m sure most barristas use a peppermint syrup, which I could have made too, I guess, but crushed candy just seems way more festive, right? (and, yes, easier too)
I made the first one for myself with cocoa, sugar, crushed candy cane pieces, milk and some hot coffee topped with a swirl of whipped cream and it was a real treat. The peppermint flavor was very subtle compared to my favorite coffee-house version, but still it was good.
As my kids are telepathically drawn to anything topped with whipped cream and candy, of course, I made some decaf peppermint mocha lattes for them too. For an added bit of cuteness, I garnished their drinks with a whole candy cane.
As it turned out, that addition of the whole candy cane added the huge pop of peppermint deliciousness the first attempt had been missing… and it looked extra cheery too!
We officially have a new family favorite thing and we hope you like it too.
Homemade Peppermint Mocha Lattes printable recipe
- 1 heaping teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon crushed candy cane or peppermint candy
- 1 or 2 teaspoons sugar or other sweetener or choice
- 1/3 cup milk or half and half (adjust measurement to your taste)
- 1 cup fresh brewed coffee
- whipped cream, for topping, optional (I used Reddi-Whip)
- 1 whole candy cane or peppermint candy pieces, for garnish