|Rich, chocolate cake-like cookies and sweet, vanilla ice cream.|
Summer is winding down for the school kids, but the heat in South Texas will linger for a while yet. I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve been in the mood for some cool-down comfort food. Ice cream is a convenient comfort food solution, but an ice cream sandwich is a true treat in my opinion. In fact, my five-year old would live on ice cream sandwiches, if I would allow it.
Well, for those of you who are not aware, I am expecting my second child and sudden diva-like cravings abound lately. This recipe is the result of one such sudden craving. It turned out good enough to share. Let me know if you give them a try.
- 1 box (18.25 oz) devil’s food cake mix
- 1 stick butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Heath bar pieces
- your favorite flavor of ice cream
1. Heat oven to 350°
2. Prepare baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray or non-stick foil.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together cake mix, melted butter, water, egg and vanilla. Batter will be thick.
4. Add in toffee candy pieces.
5. Drop heaping tablespoons full of cookie batter onto prepared baking sheet. (truly, heaping…don’t be bashful)
6. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes per batch. Cookies appear very puffy when removed from the oven, but they will sink slightly while cooling.
7. Allow cookies to cool completely.
8. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop up a generous serving of ice cream.
9. Gently press the ice cream onto the back side of one of the cooled cookies.
10. Top with another cookie.