This week has been such a great week at home. We moved into a new apartment recently and everyone knows how hard it is to get settled into a new place. It took some time, but the newly acquired kitchen is finally organized and in working order. Since I’ve now located all of my much-loved kitchen gadgets and gear, I decided to serve up a special weeknight meal for the family the other night: a meatloaf.
Boring, you say? Well, I would have too, but I took a traditional meatloaf prepared with peppers and onions and then I stuffed it with a savory bread stuffing and juicy mushrooms. Trust me, it sounds much more complicated than it was to put together.
I plated it up with some fresh green beans and homemade mashed potatoes (Because I think those two side dishes are required by law in some states when serving meatloaf, even a fancy one). This is one of those simple meals that is tasty enough to serve for company, and in fact my next dinner guests are quite likely to be having this dish.
Mushroom Stuffed Meatloaf
- 1-1/2 lbs ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper,finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together ground meat, peppers, 1/2 of the chopped onion, garlic and onion powder.
3. Fold in the beaten egg with the meat mixture and set it aside.
4. In a second medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, remaining chopped onion, sliced mushrooms and spices.
5. Press half of the meat mixture into the bottom of lightly greased 9 x 5 in. loaf pan.
6. Spread the mushroom stuffing on top of the layer of meat mixture.
7. Press the remain meat mixture on of the of the mushroom stuffing.
|Half way there: the mushroom stuffing in between the two layers of meat mixture.
8. Place the meatloaf into the pre-heated oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes.
9. Allow meatloaf to cool for about 10-15 minutes before slicing to serve.
|I served my meatloaf with a traditional tomato sauce which was delicious, but next time I’ll be serving this dish with brown gravy.