I didn’t plan it this way, but as it turns out this recipe is being posted just in time for the first day of October this weekend! October is National Apple Month in the USA and maybe you’ll add this spiced brown sugar apple dip to your list of ways to celebrate the beautiful fall apple harvest this year!
Here’s a tip to keep your freshly sliced apples from turning brown once they are cut: Place your sliced apples in a bowl and toss them with 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Transfer the apple slices to a colander and rinse the lemon juice off. Pat apple slices dry with a paper towels and serve. The natural enzymes in most apples react when they are exposed to oxygen causing the apples to brown after they are cut. The natural antioxidants in the lemon juice reduce this enzymatic reaction and the sliced apple won’t brown as quickly!
This apple corer and slicer combo is on my “must have” gadget list. What is your favorite apple recipe?
Spiced Brown Sugar Apple Dip
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 container (8oz) whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 container (8oz) whipped dessert topping (I used Cool Whip brand)
- 1 heaping tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 – 3 dashes ground nutmeg (to taste)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspooon pure vanilla extract
- assortment thinly sliced fresh apples (2 cups)
- assortment of other fresh fruit you prefer (fresh pears, fresh pineapple are good with this dip!)
- mini pretzels or pretzel sticks