The first time I ever tried overnight oats for breakfast I was super skeptical about them, but after just one bite, I was a huge fan of this pre-prepped breakfast. I wrote a blog post that was all about my very first try at making Apple-Cinnamon Overnight Oats last year. Since then we have tried several more flavor combinations, but these Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats are my current, absolute favorite!
Recently, a friend of mine suggested mixing in some juice with the next batch of my favorite weekday breakfast, ya know, just to change things up a bit. I thought it sounded like an interesting adaptation, but I’ll admit I was again skeptical about adding juice to my dreamy, super creamy overnight oats. Seriously, why mess with perfection?!
However, I decided to give juice a chance and orange juice was what I had on hand that day. Once again, I was amazed with the results the next morning and I ate every, single bite of those orange-y, flavorful, rich oats!
When I started mixing things together for this little experiment, I really wasn’t sure of which little extras or spices to combine with oats, milk and o.j. to make the dish more complete. But, after giving it a little thought I sweetened them with a little honey (I think honey and orange are flavors that were made for each other!), stirred in some pure vanilla extract and finished it off with a dash of cinnamon. I gave it all good stir and let them sit overnight in the fridge.
At my much-anticipated breakfast the next day, the finished oats had the same smooth, creamy texture I’ve come to love and those simple ingredients, orange juice, honey, vanilla and cinnamon, made for a wonderfully bright and warm flavor combination. It was so yummy that it felt like a truly naughty breakfast, but in fact it’s really pretty healthy… and satisfying!
For fear of all the toppings getting soggy, I don’t add fruit, nuts or anything else the night before as I know many people do. I always wait until the next day for those essential toppings!
The first time I made these vanilla-orange overnight oats, I topped them with some chopped sections of fresh orange and some chopped, toasted pecans. It was super duper good, but I thought it could be still be better.
So, the next time around I topped the oats with cute, little Mandarin oranges because they are convenient and the perfect topping size (and soooo stinkin’ cute!) And, does anything go better with oranges than cranberries?! I mean, I just had to sprinkle in a few of those tangy things.
And then, for a little crunch, I added in some sliced almonds instead of pecans. That turned out to be a great choice!
Oh man, I had a terrific breakfast that day…and the day after that and the next day too.
I sure hope you like them too.
Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats #SundaySupperCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These hearty, flavorful vanilla-orange overnight oats will “cook” themselves as you sleep. These make a great breakfast on-the-go and they are delicious served chilled or warm!
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup milk or nut milk of your choice
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup canned Mandarin oranges, drained or fresh orange sections, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
1/2 tablespoon sliced almonds (or other chopped nuts of your choice)
- Pour rolled oats into an 8 oz. mason jar or another re-sealable container, and set it aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the orange juice, milk, honey, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour the juice mixture over the oats and stir to combine. Close the mason jar and place it in the refrigerator for at lease 5 hours.
- Remove the oats from the refrigerator, top with oranges, dried cranberries and sliced almonds.
- Recipe as published on A Little Fish in the Kitchen at www.alittlefishinthekitchen.com. All content is owned by Marcelle G. Bolton. Please contact the author for permission to republish.
Sign up here to receive all of my posts right to your inbox! Subscribe now so you’ll never miss a recipe!
The host of this week’s Sunday Supper recipe share is Lisa Grant from Jersey Girl Cooks. Thank you, Lisa!
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.