As tempting as it is, I refuse to fall back into the habit of regularly hitting the drive-thru windows! Ok, to be perfectly honest, some nights the crazy schedule wins and we grab a bucket of chicken or a bag of tacos. But, mostly I still make an honest effort to cook a healthy dinner for my family, even when we are short on time.
Now, my mother used to hold on to a steadfast rule against snacking before dinnertime, but I see things a very different way (and plus whining drives me bananas!). I can earnestly testify that offering just a simple variety of pre-dinner snack foods sure keeps people smiling while they wait…and when I say simple, I mean simple.
I tend to offer easy peasy starters like chips and salsa, fruit and cheese, crackers and cheese, veggies and ranch dressing and pita chips and hummus… anyhoo, you get the picture. But, every once and a while I’m organized enough to offer a munchie, like this shrimp and olive spread, that really raises some eyebrows and shakes things up!
Just F.Y.I., this was one appetizer I had to chase Evan away from because he seriously wasn’t going to have room for dinner!
Shrimp and Olive Spread printable recipe
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 7 oz. cooked shrimp, shells removed and coarsely chopped
- 6-8 pimiento stuffed green olives, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Cajun Chef brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder