I have an odd relationship with cherry tomatoes. They’re really cute and pretty, but I don’t really like them plain. Honestly, if I come across them in a typical garden salad, I will usually just push them aside.
But, I think they’re perfect for making petite appetizers and I absolutely love marinated cherry tomatoes! During the summer months I like to marinate them and use them in a few ways, and one of my favorite easy side dishes is this cherry tomato salad. A marinated cherry tomato salad may not sound all that exciting to some, but if you try this I bet you get hooked. It’s almost outrageous how much flavor those tiny tomatoes take on in just a couple of hours!
For this salad, you could easily use a store bought vinaigrette, but I normally make my own white wine vinaigrette. I enjoy making my own salad dressings mostly because I get to play with the flavors. If I want a sweet vinaigrette, I add more sugar. If I want more garlicky dressing, I add more garlic. If I want a fruity dressing I add bits of fruit. Anyhoo, you get the picture.
Whether you choose to make your own dressing or not, this chilled salad is perfect for a Sunday afternoon barbecue lunch or supper on any ol’ hot day. It’s fresh, delicious, and it adds an amazing pop of color to any table.
Marinated Cherry Tomato, Cucumber & Mozzarella Salad
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- 1 heaping tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning (I used McCormick brand)
- 1 container cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise (I used Nature Sweet Cherubs)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, diced
- 1/4 of a small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- mozzarella cheese (4 oz) diced in 1/2 inch pieces