I’ll just start this post off by exposing a dark family secret: we are not huge football fans and we hardly follow any of the series at all. Yes, it’s absolutely true. Not a single football team fan jersey can be found anywhere in this house! There it is. Now this disturbing family detail is out on the table. But, maybe I can offer a little comfort to all the foozball fanatics by telling you that even though we don’t follow any particular team, each year we do get in the spirit and watch the Superbowl!
My husband will follow and enjoy the game once it starts. I can’t say the same applies to me, but any celebration that offers me an excuse to spend my afternoon making fun appetizers and baking is one I can appreciate. Getting to utilize my huge crazy lady collection of party platters is just a bonus!
I often use frozen puff pastry or pizza dough to make wrap-style sandwiches and use up leftover meat in the fridge. We look forward to our fun family “appetizer nights” which often include some version of these easy, hot sandwiches. I prefer using the frozen puff pastry even though it is slightly more expensive than pizza dough. I just love the buttery taste.
I have actually made puff pastry at home before and I felt really proud of myself when it turned out well, but it’s a time-consuming process. I have two little kids that, literally, run circles around me these days, and for me it’s well worth the time-saving element to just buy it!
As far as game day snacks go, I believe chicken wings will rank near the top of the list for eternity. This easy sandwich has all the spicy flavor of a plate classic hot wings plus three creamy cheeses all neatly wrapped up in heavenly, flaky puff pastry. I’ll be serving this sandwich on game day as well as some other goodies. I’m confident it’ll be a finger food touchdown!
Easy Triple-Cheese Buffalo Chicken Stromboli
*this recipe is written as if you will use 2 sheets of puff pastry. If you only use one sheet, halve the ingredients.
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 brick (8 oz.) reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of crumbled bleu cheese
- 5 tablespoons of Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce
- I teaspoon of paprika
- black pepper to taste (I don’t add extra salt. The cream cheese adds plenty of that)
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°. In a medium-size mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the shredded cheese and set aside.
2. The puff pastry will be in 8×8 inches sheets. Working with one pastry sheet at a time, on a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry out to a 10×12 inch sheet. Carefully fold the pastry and move to an ungreased baking sheet.
3. With the shorter side facing you, evenly spread half of the chicken mixture onto the pastry. Then top with 1 cup cheddar cheese.
6. Slice, serve warm with extra celery sticks, carrots and ranch or bleu cheese dressing