I know I’m not alone in my love big of pizza. In fact, if I could get away with it, take-out pizza would be on the menu at my house at least once a week. But, for us, it’s important to keep our budget in mind and we generally choose to cook at home most nights. I guess it’s also necessary to mention that, unless you’re especially active, eating take-out pizza on a regular basis can be pretty tough on any waistlines you’re trying to keep under control…I know that’s true for me.
All the grown-up considerations aside, in my opinion, not much can compare to a slice of hot, fresh supreme-style pizza. Your favorite restaurant may call it something different, but, you know, the one piled high with veggies, meat, sauce and cheese? It’s just the best!
This pie is my answer to a huge Italian food I was having last week. I was just lucky enough to have these items on hand in my kitchen. My craving was in limbo somewhere between pizza and lasagna. I didn’t have the right ingredients on hand for a traditional lasagna or a pizza crust, but I did have frozen pie crust, all the veggies, left over cheeses in the fridge and a new jar of marinara sauce in the pantry. This savory pie was an incredibly simple and quick dinner meal and best of all, it really does taste like pizza!
This easy, pizza pie had so much flavor that my Italian craving was more than satisfied and nobody even missed the pepperoni.
Veggie Pizza Pie
- 1 tub (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 frozen pie crust (9-inch, deep dish), defrosted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- button mushrooms (8 oz.), cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seed and chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 11/2 cup 2% milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
2. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini, sliced mushrooms, onion and garlic to the pan. Cook until the vegetables are tender about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in the black olives. Add salt & pepper to your taste.
3. Add the vegetables to the pie shell and top with 4 more tablespoons of marinara sauce and then the mozzarella cheese. Place the veggie pie on a cookie sheet (will help avoid spills in the oven!) and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges of the pie shell are golden brown.
4. Allow pie to cool on a rack for about 20 minutes before slicing. Serve warm and enjoy!